As the temperature begins to drop one of our go-to dishes for a quick, tasty meal has become taco soup. It's one of those 1 pot meals that really warms you up and only take about 45 minutes from start to finish. This recipe feeds 10, but we typically scale it back a little.
- 2lbs ground sirloin, browned and drained
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 can green chilies
- 1 can whole kernel corn
- 1 package Ranch dressing mix
- 1 package Taco seasoning
- 3 cans diced tomatoes (I like at least 1 can of fire-roasted tomatoes)
- 1 can pinto beans
- 1 can hot chili beans
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 1/2 cups of water
Mix all the ingredients together and simmer for about 30 minutes or until you can no longer resist the aroma emanating from the kitchen.
It doesn't get much simpler than that!
Even though this recipe includes green chilies and chili beans, it's pretty mild. So, here's some suggestions to take care of that:
- Use "hot" taco seasoning (really, this should be a given)
- just like when making chili, adding a diced chili pepper or 3 is never a bad thing
- add some red pepper flakes
- a dash of Sriracha sauce (ok maybe 2 dashes)
- a couple tablespoons of hot salsa
I like my bowl with a plate of tortilla chips and a cold beer.